Friday, September 14, 2007

Poems

I've just been experimenting with the idea of quick and concise projections of thought through poetry. I've read a bit of the argument between philosophy and poetry in Harold Bloom's, Where Shall Wisdom be Found? My argument being that it can be found in anything because it is itself nothing, but that is only scratching the surface and I do not want to drag on because just about everybody checks out pretty quick if you start getting to abstract. It is crazy to me how little communication really goes on in the world. There is plenty of information being transfered, and words being used, but when speaking there is not often a single full idea shared. With writing, the writer can manifest their full idea, but the reader cannot interact to truly understand the meaning. It is as though we go through life hearing the half meaning of someone's finite attempt at explaining things that are almost all infinitely complex. I begin to wonder if it is I who is at fault for being so dumbfounded and that perhaps I cam just not quite as intelligent as the rest of the world. Perhaps everyone else gets it, and can understand what complexities matter while I trickle through the many streams of understanding that could possible lead to or leave from the fragment of an idea that might find its way before me. I am ranting once more, far from the topic in the title. I guess the point of this is that I wonder if people can better understand the directness of poetry in contrast to the vast complexities of a philosophical understanding. Either way Sophists have come back to take over the world. Beware for we have no Socrates to save us, and if we did he is probably in jail for molesting little boys. Enjoy.

No comments: